The Velvet Shadow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Velvet Shadow

THE VELVET SHADOW

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The case for low-level recruitment

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mountebank/Pangloss

Mountebank/Pangloss

The case for low-level recruitment Empty
PostSubject: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 10:16 pm

A lot of mention has been over the past few weeks of a minimum level for new recruits, both from the upper echelons of the Guild and the rank-and-file. Well and good. Not only is this a sign of mature, considered and intelligent debate, a codified set of recruiting standards is a nessecity if we wish to improve the Guild.

From what I have been able to judge, most suggestion have been for a minimum level of 20. Until recently my own thoughts on the matter have inclined toward a minimum of 20 for recruiting priorities and 25 for non-priorities.

However, I believe that there is a strong case for lowering our standards and accepting lower level characters. We need only consider the cases of Fortunate and Chaos-Reign. Both these characters were of recruited in the last week (Fortunate by myself, and Chaos-Reign by Igotsa) and both were high level, by our standards (38Enu and 31Feca, respectively. Remember the average guildie is ~level 20). Neither are with the Guild today. In particular, Chaos left within 24 hours. It appears that several other members have also left us recently.

I do not mean to critisise the players, or those who recruited them. Fortunate and Chaos-Reign clearly had their own reasons for leaving, which unfortunately are not transparent to us. However, had they been recruited at lower levels, I believe that they would have stayed.

This in mind, I think that the minimum standards should be level 16 for low priority recruits, and 14 for high priority recruits.

Consider the following:

Loyalty: Is it not what this guild prizes above all else? Loyal members, by definition, stay with the guild for a long time, contributing, at the very least, more of that sweet, sweet XP. But how do we earn loyalty?

Reciprocity: It means paying back dues, if not materially, then in kind. If we can't help new recruits develop, how can they be expected to be reward us? Keep in mind...

We have more to offer lower level recruits: For the time being at least. Once we acquire a paddock things will no doubt change. But for new players, the cheap trades, help with leveling, dungeon runs and free advice is pretty much indispensible.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see the guild swamped with newberts, nor do I want to block new higher level members. I just think that a 20+ recruiting standard has some side effects that ought to be considered.
Back to top Go down
Machival
Admin
Machival

PostSubject: Re: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 5:49 am

Ok Hugh... its been four days since I read this article and have come to the conclusion that a minimum level IS indeed required.

I have recently also come to the conclusion that lvl 20 does present the inherent problems outlined in this article AND the fact that at this stage this is the mode lvl of guild members... it seems unreasonable until the guild itself has matured significantly...

I do however believe the dispersion between priority recruits to be unnecessary as it prompts favouritism within the ranks, a trait I do not find at all attractive.

ok... lvl 15 recruiting minimum as of 1 week from today.

Any persons wishing to lodge a complaint... USE THE GOD DAMN FORUM YOU LAZY SODS... (that'll boost our ratings ¬¬)

the new recruiting requirements will be posted on the myspace in the next few days...

Regards

Mach pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mgilb19
Mountebank/Pangloss

Mountebank/Pangloss

PostSubject: Re: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Favouritism is an ugly scrag, I'll give you that. However, I've been hearing alot of "We need more (Pandas, P2Ps, Bakers, cowbells) in the guild." I thought an easier way of getting them in would be to make it easier for them to join.

Incidently, we really do need more cowbell.
Back to top Go down
chasisont

chasisont

PostSubject: Re: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 6:42 am

the min lvl 4 recruits should be lvl 25, keep out noobs
Back to top Go down
Waif-rate

Waif-rate

PostSubject: Re: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 1:34 am

well...i agree with the 'get low levels side' because if were kind to them and help them level from noob to mid-range they WILL feel a duty to stay as part of the family, to not dessert us.i did say this in the start...i think i said it first actually...

i say level 11 when everyone has their attack spell maxed to 5 has some experiance and is easyier for them to level:

Sram tricky blow
Iop pressure
Eni healing word
Sadida bramble
Feca earth armour
Ecaflip felintion or HoT
Xelor hand/dark ray
Pandawa burning fist or arachnee set
Cra magic arrow/burning arrow
Osmados gobball/tofu
Enutrof um ? i've never ever used a enutrof in my 1 1/2 years of playing...lol
Sacrier Sacs foot or Assault

the point is once you get lvl 5 of any of those spells (level 11) you level up WAY faster,so these noobs won't be noobs for too long...i can get from level 11 -> 21 in a day easy about 5 hours ? and if some kind guild members help them level...

1# they will meet the level 15 recruit level in notime
2# they might be swayed by other guildies generosity and stay in the guild...
3# gives you lazy @#%@s something to do instead of sitting around astrub zaap all day killing piwis for no reason... >.<

and if the amount of noobs gets really bad...we can have a noob partner day where everyone gets a noob partner and helps them level up for the day...good bonding experiance for the guild good xp for the guild and the noobs will like it...i bet...

think about it...

pirat + cat = Waifrate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The case for low-level recruitment   The case for low-level recruitment Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The case for low-level recruitment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Velvet Shadow :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: